07 March 2007

Detour

I have a pile of German homework lying on the table, giving me the evil eye. I have 2 books-in-progress and 3 plays to read, books I can't wait to dive into. I curse my German homework for infringing on my reading time, and I curse my German class for eating up my practicing hours. I'm feeling guilty these days for neglecting my piano. The beauties of Schumann lie open on the music rack, twinkling stars, cerulean depths, a tender caress, a sigh, a caught breath, the inky blackness of an infinite galaxy glittering with warm, shimmering light - these are some of the images that his posthumous variations of the Symphonic Etudes evoke in me.

I should blog about my trip to England last week to visit my fantastic cousin in Cambridge and some friends in London, about the evensong at King's College (the most beautiful artistic/religious moment I've ever witnessed), about Equus, about speaking my own language again, about how I love England, about future schemes.

Sometimes, while following natural thought processes, you stumble upon a door that you've ignored in the past, a door you continue to ignore whenever you pass by it. I have many doors locked away in my mind, and I take care not to enter them. But tonight, conflicted by a mix of curiosity and sadness, I reached for the key and unlocked some old memories, things, as Keren Ann sings, "I always try not to remember rather than forget." Well, ok, it'd be easier just to forget many things, but it turns out that the most we can do, aside from completely blocking experiences out, is to not remember. Because the wound under the band-aid, behind that door, remains raw, unhealed. Because it still hurts. Maybe airing it out a little helps, cleaning the infection, drying it, covering it with a new bandage. And forgetting again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the entry..... you can write. i enjoy your blog both as a friend and as a reader. i hope germany is treating you well!

D0nnaTr0y said...

I love the pictures you have posted! They make me very excited about my upcoming trip to London (I've got to go find Platform 9 3/4!).

I'm so sorry you aren't enjoying Berlin. The pictures make it look so wonderful. When you are settled, and have all your clothes out of your suitcases and into your drawers, PLEASE let me come visit you too!!!

In the meantime, be careful with those doors- don't be afraid to add a little aloe to soothe the sores. :)

ACN said...

Dear DonnaTroy,

Superheroes are ALWAYS welcome at my place! You will love London - I love England, especially London, although it's EXTREMELY expensive and taking the tube at rush hour is a very bad idea.

I'm not *not* enjoying Berlin. It's not so bad these days, actually. The enjoyment just doesn't happen all the time, and most of my friends are non-Germans. That may be intentional. ;)

sarah marie said...

to answer your question, Nathan is playing his senior recital in April. He's playing Brahms Klavierstucke op. 76, Beethoven 'Les Adieux' Sonata, and Bach English Suite II bwv 807 I believe.

how about you? what rep are you studying these days?

did I ever tell you that Nathan never had a piano lesson in his life unil he went to college? isn't that weird? completely self-taught. a very accomplished organist, too... only took lessons while in college for two semesters. he's a freak.

sarah marie said...

ps I have a good friend who is in Muenster as a Fulbright scholar, teaching at a school. She studied abroad in Heidelberg and LOVED it, but this year she's not loving Germany much at all. Her name is kate... she's on my links. maybe you two could commiserate (sp?). :-)