15 October 2006

Magicians and Musicians

"Strange was painted behind Mr. Norrell, half-sitting, half-leaning against a litle table, entirely at his ease, with his mocking half-smile and his eyes full of smiles and secrets and spells - just as a magicians' eyes should be."

from "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell"

Lately I have been considering how closely related magic and music are. This description of Jonathan Strange, a fictional British early 19th century magician, perfectly fits my Italian teacher, here in Berlin, in 2006. Magic at the piano, you know. My magic at the piano, however, consists of toads and lumpy things.

"Artists are tricky fellows, sir, forever reshaping the world according to some design of their own."

My mother finds my adjectives serpentine, strangulating, and slightly offensive to her refined English sensibilities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the adjectives. You're taking Italian, too? Mein Lieber!