30 April 2007

2 down, 3 to go

I'm bad about blogging regularly when I'm out of the country. That country. Deutschland.

Number 1: private recital on the Upper East Side, New York - I really enjoyed playing in this relaxed yet sophisticated atmosphere, surrounded by friends, fellow musicians, hosted by my favorite New York family in their lovely home with their lovely Steinway. And I got through the whole recital without falling off the bench, which considering my current program, is quite a feat.

Words: Kelly at JFK, brownstone, Madison Ave, guest room, apples, blue tile, practice practice practice, wintry Central Park, Greek Parade, MSM, John Williams, lying in the park, Dean Noon, scheduling office, Celeste, tagliatelle with cabbage, tea and Sara, cake at Mozart, former roommates, old friends, a very surprised ex, grapes, wine, home-cooked dinner for me, Lincoln Center, buses and subways, noise, smells, honking, taxis, shades of gray, Hungarian Pastry Shop, croissants, cool cement steps, warm spring night, heady bouquets, falling in love with a city I hate in so many ways, feeling like a New Yorker again - and liking the feeling.

Then: California. Studio class at the university. Interview with the newspaper. Big article printed in Friday's paper. Playing for my old teachers. Not being able to swear while practicing because of family in the house. Eroica Trio at Saratoga in the most beautiful villa situated in the coastal hills. Shostakovich and wine with Sara, schmoozing at the reception, talking to the girls.



Number 2: recital yesterday, audience of 300, Steinway D, packed hall, three standing ovations (after Schumann, Wagner, and encore), best performance to date, didn't feel so great though, family members coming from various surrounding cities, flowers and exhaustion, tired hands today. Timed it - 2 hours with intermission and encore. Serious business.

Tomorrow: practice practice practice. Yoga. My back is crunched these days.

Soon: recitals, competition, travelling, seeing more people (including my COUSINS and Joe!), feeling lonely still, wanting to talk, to have a real conversation with a real person that I'm really connected to.

Hey, you're alive, you're ALIVE, and I love it, I love being alive, together, breathing, feeling a gaze tingling on my skin, breathe in the night air and just be, quietly, separate, at the same time, words or no words, talking or not talking, makes no difference.

Schumann is a galaxy.
Epic, he said.
Best Beethoven 109 I've ever heard, in my life, all 60 years of them as a pianist.

Hey, sit by me tonight.

1 comment:

D0nnaTr0y said...

I'm sad I missed the croissants at the HPS with you! But did you check out the bathroom and the quote!?!?! Did ya? Did ya?

Hope the rest of your trip here in the homeland goes well!