19 December 2006

Brain/Death

For a really cool article on a new cutting edge technique in neurosurgery, go here: (pun intended)

www.nytimes.com/2006/12/19/health/19brai.html?ex=157680000&en=ecc223e3a3b470b5&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

For those of you who aren't up on your neurosurgerical procedures, this blog gets its name from a fascinating operation involving removal of one of the brain's hemispheres - thus, hemispherectomy, or its official title, functional hemispherectomy. For more information on this, read "The Deepest Cut" (The New Yorker, 2006) or watch episode No. ? from Season 1 of Grey's Anatomy, my favorite source for all things medical and all things dreamy.

In other news, somebody had the nerve to die over the weekend and have his funeral in the church this morning, the very morning that I needed to practice for an important audition. Do I lose extra points for cursing a dead man?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to the cool sidebar with the archived blog titles? I see only half a blog page. Did you do something? Did I do something? Is it because I have only one brain hemisphere? I can only see half of everything? I want my hemisphere back. I'm barely functional with both halves in. Would someone turn the lights on?