28 November 2006

A short homage to the best non-classical musician I've ever heard

Seriously people, James Blunt's voice is just too high and wimpy.

One of the greatest musical tragedies of the last decade (heck, of the last century) was the death of Jeff Buckley in 1997 at the age of 30 in a drowning accident. His music makes me cry every time.

If you've never heard Jeff Buckley, go IMMEDIATELY to iTunes and purchase:

-Hallelujah (from Grace - the most incredible cover of Leonard Cohen you will ever hear)
-Lilac Wine (from Grace)
-Morning Theft (from Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk)

A fourth recommendation is Dream Brother (from Grace).

What a voice. What a guitar player. I am haunted knowing the voice in my headphones is a dead man's.


"There was a time in my life not too long ago when I could show up in a cafe and simply do what I do, make music, learn from performing my music, explore what it means to me...In this situation I have that precious and irreplaceable luxury of failure, of risk, of surrender." - Jeff Buckley, 1996

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad is it that musicians don't really have that freedom anymore. :(

I'm still jealous that you're in Berlin and I'm not. :(

Lots of entries to catch up on!

D0nnaTr0y said...

you better be careful with that jeff buckley, girl! you may want to switch it up with some justin timberlake superficiality every once in a while...!