31 October 2006

In a most hilarious mood

Today is Halloween.

More important to my life, however, is Reformation Day, which also happens to be today. I practice at a church which observes all the Protestant holidays, and their evening services don't fare well with my practice inclinations. I took the opportunity, however, in my exile, to make it a night out, a little time for me and my computer in an internet cafe with good food.

Oh the Halloweens of yesteryear - crunchy autumn leaves, crunchy chocolate candy. Once I was Carmen Sandiego. Several times I was the Phantom of the Opera. One house made me go in and play the piano before they gave me any candy. It wasn't even good candy. For the past few years, Harry Potter and I have grown unusually close. This Halloween, I'm just me, a new version, a better one, a happier one, a European one. Next year I might go as Jack Sparrow - I've had a secret wish to be an effeminate, wild-man, rum-drunk pirate for years.

A certain person (very tall, male, full beard) I knew in New York dressed up last year as Glinda, the Good Witch of the North. He kept the beard. I saw pictures from the Halloween Parade. It was wonderful.

Effeminate pirates, masculine fairies - let the reveling begin! I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to catch up with your blog and see you are doing well! I am thinking of you, and looking forward to your visit back to CA... when?!

Anyway, I'm assiting a composer on a Disney channel project right now and fell into another stroke of luck and assisting another one on a top network, prime time show!! (!!!!!) Very exciting!

As for school, I am mainly teaching and my students are driving me nuts... I am sad to say that I'm not sure if staying in school right now is the best option......